Friday, November 4, 2011

Poop Machine

Welcome to my inaugural blog post!

I'm the proud Daddy of a beautiful (and smart) 3 month old baby girl named Neve (pronounced like Eve but with an N). We hang out during the day and have fun. This blog will just be my random thoughts on our days together.


Oh yeah, there's also a crazy french bulldog running around the house named Ollie. Neve is just starting to notice Ollie (although you couldn't tell from the picture below).



Neve changes constantly. It's crazy! Just a couple of weeks ago, she was going through a stage where she pooped once, maybe twice per week. Beth (Mommy) and I did some research and apparently that's fairly common with breastfed babies. As long as you're careful baby is eating and peeing enough, there's nothing to be worried about. So, I just enjoyed going most of the week without having to deal with poopy diapers.

Well, that fun is over. Neve is now a POOP MACHINE! She poops at least 4 times a day. And we use cloth diapers, so changing poops is a very hands-on experience. I'm realizing that I didn't truly appreciate how nice it was when she was pooping just once a week. I guess I have to settle for the fact that her poops really don't smell that bad yet. She still has the infant poop smell (for lack of a better way to describe it) going on, which I assume comes from not eating solid food. So, I'll hold onto that...   for now.

Ultimately, maybe I need to be more Buddhist and embrace change. The concept of impermanence is sure in full force in the life of a baby!

I'll try to include at least one picture in every blog. But instead of grossing you out with a picture of Neve's poop (those pictures are mostly saved for future potential boyfriends OR funny birthday cards), here's a picture of one of the things Neve and I did today. She was Daddy's little helper and held the drill while I put up a stair railing...


Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. love the blog! yeah, the poop and cloth diapers are not too much fun! especially the new born stuff...yuck! we still use cloth diapers about 80% of the time. Disposables at night and whenever we need a "cloth break!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Erika!

    I've actually boasted that a disposable diaper has never touched Neve's butt (even in the hospital when Neve was born we had the nurses put on a cloth diaper... the nurses, Beth and I had to figure out together how to get it on). I shouldn't be boasting, though, because that's mainly a credit to Beth. I am glad that Beth convinced me of cloth. Overall, it's been easier than I expected.

    I do give myself a little luxury and use disposable wipes (when Beth's not looking). Using reusable wipes becomes too much of a hassle to me. I'm sure I'll blog about that later.

    Tell Wally and Dan hi for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika, did you notice the blanket in the [ahem] drill photo?

    ReplyDelete